If you want to live in Spain, getting an NIE (foreign identity number) is perhaps the most important thing you need to do. It’s usually needed for jobs, renting flats, and even opening bank accounts. I have heard the process can differ depending on where you are in Spain, but here’s how we got ours as British citizens in Valencia in 2017.
- Your passport
- A photocopy of the photo page of your passport
- A completed EX-15 application form which you can print here plus a photocopy. Here is the form in English.
- A completed Tasa 790-012 form which you need to pay the fee at the bank. You have to fill in your details online and then download the form. Make sure you don’t print a photocopy of this form as each barcode is individual to the applicant, we made this error. Here is an English translation of this form.
1) Book an appointment online through this website. We booked before arriving in Valencia and there is usually a 3-4 week waiting list. You get 3 different dates to choose from.
You can also apply through the consulate of your country before arriving. If you need the NIE quicker I’ve heard you can go to the foreign office in quieter areas outside of the city such as Paterna or Quart de Poblet and get it without an appointment.
2) Go to the police station (comisaria de policia) Calle de Bailén, 9, Valencia at your appointment time with all your documentation. If you don’t speak Spanish, bring a friend along with you, as they don’t speak English. It is a quick appointment just to look over your documents and make sure everything is ok. They won’t take any documents off you yet but they will give you your NIE.
3) Pay the €9.45 fee with your Tasa form. We went to BBVA which is just a few minutes walk away from the police station. You have to pay the fee on the automated machines, not to a cashier. After a few clicks you scan the barcode of your Tasa form, enter some details, including your NIE, and pay the fee in cash. Remember to print a receipt when you are finished.
4) Go back to the police station, and wait your turn to be seen again. You don’t need an appointment this time. You give the official your documentation, including the receipt from the bank. They will give you one of the EX-15 forms, with your NIE written on it, to keep.
5) Pick up your NIE at the police station a week after your appointment. You will need to show your copy of the EX-15 form with your NIE written on it and your passport.
Hope that has cleared everything up for people that are going/ planning to go through this process. If you have any questions feel free to ask us in the comments below.
Pin it for later!